The basic aims of this mechanism are following:
- an advisory politico-military coordination and steering committee for initiatives and activities held within the SEDM framework;
- a self-sustaining and standing capability for consultative, coordinating and implementing purposes accountable to defense ministers.
In particular, the SEDM-CC shall have the following key function:
- Coordinating and preparing the meetings of MOD/DCHODs in conjunction with host nations;
- Elaborating proposals and making recommendations on the annual work plans of activities, as well as on the agendas of the meeting in the SEDM process;
- Overseeing all SEDM working groups and coordinating with and among them;
- Providing political-military advice to those working groups, as needed;
- Coordinating SEDM activities with the activities in the region of other organizations, in accordance with the guidance of the SEDM Ministers.
Currently there is an ongoing SEDM-CC Agreement revision process.