The Politico-Military Steering Committee (PMSC) is established as the joint executive body of the MPFSEE in order to oversight and to provide policy guidance for deployment, employment and other activities.
For the PMSC, each country nominates a delegation, headed by a senior representative, who may be advised by area experts.
The Chairmanship of the PMSC is rotating every two years among the Participating Countries. So far PMSC Chairmanship rotation was as follows:
- 1999 – 2001 in Na-3
- 2001 – 2003 in Na-6
- 2003 – 2005 in Na-7
- 2005 – 2007 in Na-1
- 2007 – 2009 in Na-5
- 2009 – 2011 in Na-2
- 2011 – 2013 in Na-4
- 2013 – 2015 in Na-6
- 2015 – 2017 in Na-7
- 2017 – 2019 in Na-3
- 2019 – 2021 in Na-1
The PMSC determines its own organization and internal rules while abiding by the following general principles:
- Regular meetings and at such intervals as necessary to carry out its responsibilities and as soon as possible to response to a specific request by any Country or an invitation by the Chairman.
- Regular meetings take place twice a year, spring and fall, and are hosted by the Country holding the Chairmanship. This Country also takes over the responsibility for secretariat.
- All decisions are taken by consensus among participants.
- PMSC develops policies and guidance for Ministerial approval regarding following MPFSEE functioning areas:
- Annual plan (exercises and training)
- Co-ordination of national indications of troop contributions
- Proposals concerning possible deployments
- Employment policy and guidelines for the use of force and Rules Of Engagement (ROEs)
- Logistic support, movement and transport requirements and capacities
- Common budget
- Restructuring force and command/control organisation
- Relations with similar formations, within the framework of UN, NATO, OSCE and EU
- Public information policy
PMSC and SEDM CC CHAIR PERSON performs following duties:
Chairman of PMSC
- Prepares and declares chairmanship priorities
- Manages PMSC and SEDM CC work
- Develops the agenda and leads the PMSC and SEDM-CC meetings
- On behalf of the PMSC, asks for information from the SEEBRIG Headquarters concerning the brigade operational capabilities
- Represents PMSC and SEDM-CC during the SEDM member countries Ministries meetings
- Submits the PMSC and SEDM-CC documents to the SEDM member countries Ministries
- Responsible for PMSC correspondence and cooperation with third parties and international organizations